Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Warm me up asparagus soup


We have had "a lot" of snow this winter for North Carolina. Being a Floridian (living in NC a little over a year), it was exciting to watch the snow pile up. It looked so pretty, but it made for some super cold days.  My husband and I both had a snow day and it felt appropriate to make something warm and comforting. Aside from a bunch of asparagus, I only had the basics lying around in the fridge. I felt like a hot bowl of asparagus soup was calling my name. I had never made it before, but I had everything I needed to whip it together.

Here's how I did it:

Serves 4-6 fans

The Players:
  • 1 bunch of asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 tbs of olive oil
  • 1 small white potato peeled and diced
  • 1 small yellow onion diced
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 4 cups of vegetable broth or chicken broth
  • 2 tps of better than bouillion or bouillion
  • 1 tsp of parsley chopped finely
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • A splash of milk or cream


The Game Plan:

In a dutch oven heat 2 tbs of olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and let cook until slightly browned, about 8 minutes while occasionally stirring to keep from burning. Add potato and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Let that hang out and cook for a minute.  Then pour in 4 cups of vegetable broth. Let it come to a boil and bring it down to a simmer. Cover for about 15 minutes or so and the potatoes should be cooked. Uncover and add the asparagus. Let cook for about 5 minutes. Asparagus should be tender.

This next step involves turning off the heat and depending on how you do it you may have to slowly scoop the soup out. Use an immersion blender or food processor to blend up the soup to a smooth consistency.  Then add the soup back into the pot and season with the bouillion, salt, pepper, and parsley. Once it is to your liking, take it off the heat and add a splash of milk or cream and mix it up until blended. Stay warm and enjoy!

I know in my picture below the asparagus soup is not green but it will depend on the broth you use. Here, I used an organic vegetable broth that was super orange in color and therefore my soup was not exactly the color you would imagine. If you want the green color make sure your broth is light and clear in color. However if your kids dislike green foods, this may be a great way to trick them into eating some!


2 comments:

  1. The asparagus soup was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So delicious, quick and easy to make! I added parmigiano cheese!

    ReplyDelete