Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Simple homemade pizza sauce

I love pizza! And I truly believe pizza tastes so much better when you take the time to make the sauce from scratch. Now just because it is homemade, does not mean it is going to take a lot of your time or that you will even need a ton of ingredients. It is so simple and delicious that you will never use that jarred stuff again!

San Marzano tomatoes are sweet and delicious and honestly, you don't really even have to add anything to them, so do yourself a favor and only use these for this recipe!


Yields: Sauce for 4 medium pizzas

The Players:
  • 1/2 can San Marzano canned tomatoes including sauce (Imported from Italy)
  • 2 tps of olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • Pinch of salt



Place a saucepan on medium heat. Add olive oil and garlic. Let cook for a few minutes. Be careful to not let it burn.



Then take out half of the contents including the sauce from the can and place it into the pot. Smash up with a fork until the tomatoes are broken up into small pieces. Add salt and let simmer on medium low for 15 minutes. Let cool. Yeah I know, that is it!















Now what to do with the left over canned tomatoes? If I am not going to use it anytime soon, I never let them go to waste, I just freeze it. This way the next time I need it I have it right there in my freezer to make homemade pasta or pizza sauce.


1 comment:

  1. we make grilled pizza on the Big Green Egg, charcoal grill and it turns out AMAZING! if you want to make grilled pizza on a charcoal grill all you have to do is roll the dough out, brush underside with olive oil and cornmeal, and top with sauce and toppings. carefully slide pizza directly onto the grill for 4-5 minutes at 350F.

    ReplyDelete