Thursday, April 3, 2014

Veggie Quesa-dill-a

I always keep whole wheat tortillas, sharp cheddar cheese, taco seasoning and canned beans in the fridge and pantry. Tex-mex is my go to type of meal when I am hungry and in a hurry.  It was the end of the week and I had some random veggies to use up, so I decided quesadillas would be perfect! Plus my husband never says no to any form of tex-mex :)


Yields: 4 half quesadillas

The Players for the quesadilla:
  • 4 tbs olive oil
  • 1/2 cup of black beans rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup of broccoli sliced into thin small pieces*
  • 1/2 cup of red bell pepper sliced long ways*
  • 1/2 cup onions sliced long ways
  • 2 green onion sliced into small pieces
  • 1 small Roma tomato diced
  • 1 tbs of taco seasoning
  • 4 handfuls of sharp cheddar cheese
  • 4 whole wheat tortillas

 The players  for Choo's dipping sauce:
  • 3 tbs low fat sour cream
  • 3 tbs hot taco bell sauce 
The Game Plan:

Heat a medium pan to medium heat with 1 tbs of olive oil. Place broccoli and onions in there. Let saute.

After 2 minutes add red bell pepper and black beans. Add taco seasoning, mix and let cook for 4 more minutes.

Take off heat and add 1/2 the green onions. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
While sauteing the veggies. Mix the sour cream and taco bell sauce together in a bowl. Mix till combined. Set aside.










Heat a large pan to medium heat with 1 tbs of olive oil swirled around the pan. Place the tortilla on there. Place a handful of cheese on half the tortilla. 
Add about 1/4 or less of the sauteed mixture (you want to make sure you don't add too much because if you do, the veggies will spill out). 




Fold over tortilla in half (empty over full side). Let cook, until the bottom side if crispy. Be careful not to burn it.


Flip and let the other side become crispy. Too with tomatoes and green onions. Cut into pieces and enjoy with the dipping sauce.

 

 
 


*When I make quesadillas I usually use up what I have in my fridge, so use what you have. I also like to use zucchini, green bell pepper, mushroom, and/or corn!


No comments:

Post a Comment