Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Almost Mami's (my aunt's) Salsa!

My aunt has been making the most incredible salsa since as long as I could remember. When we go to visit, we ALWAYS request her salsa! Yah it is that good! I have tried to make it many times myself and get it close, but never as perfect as hers. I guess I finally decided it was never going to be exactly like hers so I would just add my own twist! Now her secret ingredient is one you get from England, so for all of you who do not have access to this ingredient you may be able to substitute a little Tabasco sauce. For this recipe a lot of my measurements are to taste, so try to use them only as a guideline. I tried really hard to measure but at the end adjusted the seasonings several times to my liking!



The Players:
  • 3 red vine tomatoes diced
  • 1 green bell pepper diced
  • 1 red bell pepper diced
  • 1 medium onion diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced 
  • 2-3 green onions sliced
  • Handful of cilantro chopped
  • 1/2 cup+ of tomato sauce
  • 1 tbs of ground cumin
  • 1 tsp of encona sauce*
  • Salt and pepper to taste, approx 1 tsp or more of sea salt
  • 1/2 cup of water

The Game Plan:

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and that is the only thing to it!





I usually like to make this recipe the night before and let the juices and flavors kind of hang out in the refrigerator. Then the next day I re-adjust the seasonings as needed.

* If you are using a different hot sauce such as tabasco, I would probably use less just so it does not get too spicy or vinegary. I have not ever tried it without the encona sauce but I am sure it will taste great!

No comments:

Post a Comment