Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Red Pepper Sauce Huevos Rancheros

I was having friends over for brunch and was trying to figure out what to make. I knew that they liked Mexican and liked a good kick, so I decided to make heuvos rancheros. I have made huevos rancheros many times, but each time I have made it, it is a little different. Now, there is obviously faster versions of making this recipe but I felt like making it extra special by making the sauce from scratch. So warning, this recipe is not a super quick one and I would make it when you have a little more time. If you make the sauce ahead of time, this will be super easy to make.

This sauce recipe is my favorite! I originally used it for my enchiladas but now when I have left overs use it in my huevos rancheros also! It is so good and worth taking the time to make it. I usually use two types of dried peppers and ancho chilies are always one of the two. The other pepper, I have changed up quite a few times. When I make the sauce, I make a whole batch so I can freeze it and have it on hand. The sauce recipe below will make a ton of sauce, so just remember to make less if you don't want a ton of left overs.





Serves 4 fans

The Players:
  • 8 corn tortillas (if you prefer flour you can use those also)
  • Garlic infused canola oil*
  • 1 Avocado diced
  • Approx. 1/2 cup grated cotija Cheese
  • 8 eggs
  • Garnish: green onions and cilantro
  • 1 15 oz can of black beans
  • 1 package of veggie chorizo
  • 1 tsp of taco seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp of cumin


Red Chili Sauce:
  • 3 oz. of California Chilies
  • 8 oz. of Ancho Chilies
  • 4 cups of vegetable broth
  • 5-6 garlic cloves
  • Handful of cilantro
  • 2 tsp of ground cumin
  • 1/2 cups of adobo chiptole sauce and 2-3 chiptole chilies with some sauce that it comes in
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups of water

The Game Plan:

For the sauce:

Add broth to a medium to large pot. Place all the dried chili's in the broth and let soak for 10 minutes.



Then place the pot on the stove and heat it on medium low for 10 more minutes. 



 Place all ingredients into blender and blend till you get a nice sauce. Taste to see if you need more adobe sauce and/or chiptole chili's. 


Everyone's spice level is different. Recheck and add more salt if needed. If sauce is too thick, add more stock or water to make a smoother sauce.




For the tortillas:

Preheat oven to  400 degrees. Take the corn tortillas and brush them with the oil and place them on a baking sheet. 



Once oven is preheated, place in the oven. They don't take very long so keep an eye on them. About 6-8 minutes. Every oven is different but you are looking for the tortillas to be slightly golden and crispy.



For the beans and "meat":

Heat a medium sauce pan to medium heat and add 1 tsp of olive oil and then add chorizo. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add black beans, cumin, and seasoning. Once the bean mixture is heated through, adjust seasonings to your taste.



For the eggs:

Make them to your liking: Scrambled, fried, poached.

Now all you do is place the tortilla on a plate with the bean mixture on top, sauce, then the egg with some more sauce on that. Add the avocado, cotija cheese and garnish with green onions and cilantro!


Enjoy!

* I had made garlic infused oil but you do not need to use this at all. You can use olive oil or canola oil and it will still taste delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment